Pedro Pascal’s The Mandalorian is back in action, but two iconic Star Wars Rebels characters just got teased in the season premiere.
Purrgil have officially made their live-action debut in The Mandalorian season three, teasing the whereabouts of Ezra Bridger and Grand Admiral Thrawn.
At exactly 10 minutes and 38 seconds into Chapter 13: The Apostate, Grogu sees the silhouette of a purrgil, the “semi-sentient species of massive whales that lived in deep space, traveling from star system to star system,” according to Wookiepedia.
READ: ‘Star Wars’ Writes Off Gina Carano ‘Mandalorian’ Character
Fans are sounding off on social media on the huge tease of Ezra Bridger’s return to the Star Wars universe:
In the series finale of Star Wars Rebels, Jedi Ezra Bridger sacrifices everything to liberate the planet of Lothal, bringing Grand Admiral Thrawn of the Empire and his Imperial I-class Star Destroyer into deep hyperspace.
It’s evident that showrunner Jon Favreau and executive producer Dave Filoni are gearing up for the big surprise of Ezra Bridger, Thrawn, and potentially more Rebels characters like Sabine Wren making their live-action appearance (finally!), leading into the upcoming Ahsoka series.
More About Star Wars Rebels
The purrgil grab the Chimaera with their tentacles and start to glow with blue light. Hera and Sabine realize that the purrgil are going to jump into hyperspace. Hera orders Ezra to leave but he tells her that he needs to see it through to the end. A tentacle grabs Thrawn and begins to constrict him. Sabine pleads with Ezra to follow Hera’s orders and get out, but he says that he can’t do that. Thrawn growls in pain and rage. Ezra tells the other rebels that it is up to them and to remember that the Force will always be with them. The purrgil disappear with the Chimaera into hyperspace as the Spectres, the other rebels, and Pryce watch in shock.
More about The Mandalorian
Learn more about the main characters of the franchise:
- The Mandalorian (Pedro Pascal): The protagonist of the series, he is a skilled bounty hunter who adheres to a strict code of honor. He is a member of the Mandalorian culture and wears the iconic Mandalorian armor, which he uses to protect himself and those he cares about.
- Grogu (aka “The Child” or “Baby Yoda”): A mysterious and powerful infant of the same species as the legendary Jedi Master Yoda, he is a key figure in the series and the Mandalorian’s main companion. He has a strong connection to the Force and possesses incredible abilities that make him a valuable asset.
- Cara Dune (Gina Carano): A former Rebel shock trooper, she is a skilled fighter and ally to the Mandalorian. She has a tough exterior but cares deeply for those she trusts and is willing to risk her life to protect them.
- Greef Karga (Carl Weathers): A former magistrate turned ally, he is the leader of the bounty hunter guild that employs the Mandalorian. He has a complicated history with the Mandalorian but eventually becomes a valuable ally in his quest to protect Grogu.
- Moff Gideon (Giancarlo Esposito): The main antagonist of the series, he is a former officer of the Imperial Security Bureau who seeks to acquire Grogu for his own nefarious purposes. He is a cunning and ruthless adversary who will stop at nothing to achieve his goals.
These characters and their relationships drive the plot of The Mandalorian and keep viewers coming back for more. Though Gina Carano will not be returning to reprise her role of Cara Dune, fans are hoping to learn more about what became of the character.
‘Star Wars’ Writes Off Gina Carano ‘Mandalorian’ Character
‘Lord of the Rings’ Reportedly Going Full ‘Star Wars’
Kogonada & Alex Garcia Lopez Join ‘The Acolyte’ Directing Team