During the Disney Parks panel at this year’s D23 Expo, it was announced that Epcot will be undergoing a historic transformation, the biggest out of any Disney Park. At the presentation was Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Chairman Bob Chapek, who was joined by Zach Riddley of Walt Disney Imagineering and other special guests, as they made several exciting announcements about the future of Epcot.
Chapek explains that Epcot will be unified with four neighborhoods that each speak to important aspects of the world and its people: World Showcase, World Celebration, World Nature and World Discovery. As you can imagine, these neighborhoods will be filled with new experiences that will immerse parkgoers to new destinations and innovative technology.
At World Showcase, there will be several new attractions to look forward to including:
- The United Kingdom pavilion will welcome the first attraction inspired by Mary Poppins.
- In 2020, following the limited-time run of “Epcot Forever,” the new “HarmonioUS” will debut as the largest nighttime spectacular ever created for a Disney park. It will celebrate how the music of Disney inspires people the world over. “HarmonioUS” will feature massive floating set pieces, custom-built LED panels, choreographed moving fountains, lights, pyrotechnics, lasers and more.
- In summer 2020, the France pavilion will debut the much-anticipated attraction Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, where you’ll shrink to the size of Chef Remy and race through Gusteau’s restaurant on a wild adventure. There will also be the addition of a delicious new restaurant called “La Crêperie de Paris”, offering both table- and quick-service options featuring a menu from celebrity chef Jérôme Bocuse.
- Also in the France pavilion, the classic Impressions de France film will be joined by the new “Beauty and the Beast Sing-Along,” debuting in January 2020 and directed by Don Hahn, producer of both the animated and live-action versions of this tale as old as time.
- “Canada Far and Wide in Circle-Vision 360” will debut in January 2020 in the Canada pavilion with new scenes and a new story.
- In the China pavilion, “Wondrous China” will take guests on a spectacular journey across the country, filmed and presented in a completely seamless 360-degree digital format.
At World Celebration, there will be new experiences that connect us to one another and the world around us, including:
- The iconic Spaceship Earth will remain a voyage through time as the journey transforms to reflect the power of storytelling to unite the human experience. New narration and an entirely new musical score will focus on the moments and ideas that define our story.
- A new pavilion will be the perfect place for live events, and the home base for Epcot’s signature festivals. It will provide a stunning elevated view of the entire park and an ideal spot to witness Epcot’s nighttime spectacular.
- Epcot’s entrance plaza will be transformed with new experiences that connect us with the world, welcoming you with a reimagined fountain, new pathways and sweeping green spaces that beautify the entryway.
- World Celebration will also feature Dreamers Point, an area that will don a new statue celebrating the legacy of the original dreamer, Walt Disney, plus beautiful natural environments and global design elements filled with Disney magic and surprises, including a wishing tree in an enchanted forest and a story fountain celebrating the power and music of iconic Disney storytelling.
At World Nature, this land will be dedicated to the understanding and preserving the beauty, awe, and balance of the natural world with the help of The Land, The Seas with Nemo & Friends, and the following new attractions:
- “Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana” will be the first experience inspired by the hit Walt Disney Animation Studios film. This lush exploration trail will invite you to meet and play with magical, living water.
- The Land pavilion’s new film, Awesome Planet, which showcases the beauty, diversity and dynamic story of the planet, will debut in January 2020.
At World Discovery, stories about science, technology, and intergalactic adventure come to life thanks to these new upcoming attractions:
- “Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind” will be the first “other-world” showcase pavilion at Epcot. The premise of the ride starts in the “Galaxarium,” a planetarium-like exhibition that explores the similarities and mysteries of the formation of Earth’s galaxy and Xandar. You will be invited to learn more about the treasures Xandar has to share – until the moment when the Guardians of the Galaxy arrive, and adventures across the cosmos ensue. The attraction will feature a new innovation from Walt Disney Imagineering – a storytelling coaster that rotates 360 degrees to focus your attention on the action, including the first reverse launch on a Disney coaster.
- An expansion of the “Mission: SPACE pavilion”, the new restaurant Space 220 will be a culinary experience featuring the celestial panorama of a space station, including daytime and nighttime views of Earth from 220 miles up. Opening this winter, Space 220 will be operated by the Patina Group.
- The “PLAY! pavilion” will open in time for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World. In this digital metropolis, you’ll discover an interactive city bursting with games, activities and experiences that connect you with friends, family and beloved Disney characters – both real and virtual – like never before. As part of this new pavilion, you’ll have the chance to help legendary fashion icon Edna Mode on her quest to rid the world of uninspired style and make a splash competing in a water-balloon fight hosted by Huey, Dewey, Louie, and Webby.
If this is a bit overwhelming, no worries. You will be able to take in every ounce of these exciting plans for Epcot on October 1, 2019, which is when Walt Disney Imagineering presents the Epcot Experience in the Odyssey Events Pavilion. There, you will experience engaging and interactive exhibits that showcase the relentless innovation, energy, and excitement driving the park’s future throughout this unprecedented period of transformation.
Who else is excited for what is in store for Epcot’s future? Comment below and let us know which news you are looking forward to the most!
Source: Disney Parks Blog