It’s been years since we last got any update on Margot Robbie’s planned Pirates of the Caribbean spin-off. That changed today, when Robbie delivered a devastating announcement in an interview with Vanity Fair.
The outlet did a profile of the actress ahead of the release of her next film, Damian Chazelle’s Babylon. While the piece goes on to discuss her past projects and the path she’s paved for herself to superstardom, it also offers a brief glimpse into what’s next for her.
When asked about some of her future projects, including the Pirates of the Caribbean film trades reported that she’d be starring in, the actress said it was dead. She said, We had an idea and we were developing it for a while, ages ago, to have more of a female-led—not totally female-led, but just a different kind of story—which we thought would’ve been really cool.”
She added that her guess was that Disney doesn’t want to do it anymore.
Earlier this year, Johnny Depp revealed that he would no longer be appearing in any of the films and that he was done with the series. So as of right now, the future of the franchise at Disney seems very uncertain.
With so many other brands to balance like the MCU and Star Wars, it makes sense why this one would fall on the back burner.. However, the fact that the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise is one of Disney’s only wholly original live-action properties, it is sad to see such little interest in bringing it back.
Perhaps Robbie’s project died so that something bigger and better could be born. Only time will tell.
SOURCE: Vanity Fair
SEE IT: Leaked Set Photo & Video Reveal First Look At Live-Action ‘Stitch’ Stand-In
SEE IT: Newest Trailer For ‘Haunted Mansion’ Brings The Jumps Scares
‘Freaky Friday 2’ Officially in the Works With Jamie Lee Curtis & Lindsay Lohan Returning