Zootopia to Open December 20 at Shanghai Disney Resort
Shanghai Disney Resort is set to unveil its Zootopia-themed land on December 20, 2023! Visitors of all sizes, whether large or small mammals are warmly welcomed to immerse themselves in this captivating world that breathes life into the beloved film. Every facet of this fresh addition, including culinary delights, entertainment, themed merchandise, and much more, has been meticulously crafted to fully transport you into the bustling mammal metropolis.
In addition to the aforementioned experiences, Zootopia offers more themed entertainment and character interactions. At the Zootopia Park Apartments, an array of animal residents will engage with each other and guests throughout the day, making occasional appearances in a lively show.
Furthermore, guests will have the opportunity to explore Fashions by Fru Fru, a merchandise store owned by Fru Fru, a renowned fashionista in the Zootopia universe. The land also boasts a variety of convenient walk-up dining options.
The official opening of this section is scheduled for December 20. Prior to the grand opening, dedicated cast members have initiated extensive preparations to meticulously test and refine all the experiences within Zootopia, ensuring they are fully operational. In the weeks leading up to the official launch, Disney cast members and specially invited participants will conduct trial runs of select offerings on specific dates.
Park officials emphasize that Zootopia aligns with Shanghai Disney Resort’s core principle of being “authentically Disney, distinctly Chinese.” They describe it as a “fully immersive area” that seamlessly combines Disney’s signature storytelling and innovative creativity with cutting-edge, state-of-the-art technology.
The original Zootopia film was directed by Byron Howard, Rich Moore, and Jared Bush. In China, it achieved remarkable success, grossing over $230 million, solidifying its position as one of Disney’s most prosperous titles in the region. A sequel is currently in the works.
Shanghai Disney Resort is a collaborative venture involving two ownership companies and a management company, jointly operated by The Walt Disney Company and Shanghai Shendi Group. Shendi holds a 57% stake in the two ownership firms, while The Walt Disney Company retains the remaining 43% interest. The management company is predominantly owned by The Walt Disney Company, with a 70% ownership stake.
Images from the Disney Parks Blog: