Disney+ Has More Star Wars Series In Development, With Theatrical Films Taking a Hiatus After ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ Says Bob Iger
The Mandalorian, Cassian Andor, Obi-Wan are already lined up
When Disney+ launches here in the U.S. next week the first live-action Star Wars series The Mandalorian will be the streamers tentpole original content. With an untitled Cassian Andor and Obi-Wan series both in the works, Disney CEO Bob Iger said on Thursday that they plan to expand the beloved franchise even further on the small-screen, with have “more in development.”
Iger also mentioned that the Star Wars movie franchise will “go into a hiatus for a few years” following the release of The Rise of Skywalker next month.
The announcement comes just a few days after the revelation that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, the creators of TV’s Game of Thrones, had abandoned their work on what was supposed to be the next Star Wars trilogy after The Rise of Skywalker to instead focus their energies on a project for Netflix. Lucasfilm had previously announced a series of movies by Rian Johnson, however, Rian stated recently that he is still in talks with Lucas film on more Star Wars movies, despite rumors he is off the project.
Pedro Pascal plays the titular character in The Mandalorian, Hollywood legend Nick Nolte, MMA star-turned-actress Gina Carano, Breaking Bad‘s Giancarlo Esposito, iconic German director, and actor Werner Herzog, Supernatural‘s Emily Swallow, andThor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi (who also directed an episode) are also in the set to star in the series.
“After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.”
The Mandalorian will debut when Disney+ launches on November 12, 2019.